Friday, May 19, 2017

RNA

RNA

RNA stands for ribonucleic acid and it is a nucleic acid that is present in all living things. RNA is made up of nucleotides that have sugars, phosphates and nitrogen based. The sugars in the nucleotide is called ribose. There is also four pairs, (Adenine, Guanine, Cytosine, and Uracil), that have complementary pairs. One of the complementary pairs is Adenine and Uracil and the other pair is Guanine and Cytosine. RNA has a structure very similar to that of DNA. The key difference in RNA structure is that the ribose sugar in RNA has a hydroxyl (-OH) group which is absent in DNA. RNA plays a very crucial role in the gene expression pathway by which genetic information in DNA is coded into proteins that determine cell function.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/91/2c/a5/912ca5f67e9bc8a24a8a8efe27fc1b6d.jpg

Types of RNA
There are three types of RNA: mRNA, rRNA, and tRNA.
  • mRNA also known as messenger RNA
    • mRNA carries the genetic code that i is decoded to make a sequence of amino acids in a polypeptide chain. The process follows transcription in which the DNA sequence is copied into an mRNA.                                                  
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fb/MRNA-interaction.png/300px-MRNA-interaction.png

  • rRNA also known as ribosomal RNA
    • rRNA reads 

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-1076597496bd9fb01fb20974622523c3-c

  • tRNA also know as transfer RNA
    • tRNA is a physical link between the mRNA and the amino acid sequence of proteins because it transfer the amino acids to the ribosome, so it can make proteins. This process is called translation. 
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0f/Peptide_syn.png/250px-Peptide_syn.png

Summary 
I already knew about this topic but it was a good review. I think this is one of my favorite topics in Biology and it is the only one I understood right away. This is the easiest topic for me. I should have done something that I struggle with so it would have been a better review for me.

12 comments:

  1. I really like the set up of the blog and how organized it is. I understand with the choosing something you struggled with because I knew about the last topic I had done and I chose to do it because it was easy and I knew it but the good thing is that is was a good review and helped you go over it and understand it better. I think you could have included how RNA is made from inside the DNA and include the steps of protein synthesis to understand why RNA is made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way that you organized your blog with multiple pictures to represent RNA. As of your reflection, I agree that understanding the role of RNA in protein synthesis can be really easy if broken down into smaller sections focusing on each type of RNA, like you have done in your blog. However, I had felt that the tRNA can be a little bit confusing in its role during translation. Did you find that hard to understand, as I didn't see you mention it in your reflection? Another detail that you could have added in you blog is that the rRNA specifically reads the mRNA sequence in 3 letter segments called codons, which each represent an amino acid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you set up your blog post and it was really informative. It was a good idea to choose a topic that you did not know much about. I feel like if you included the steps of protein synthesis, the role of the RNA could be understood better. However, I will use this blog to review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how your blog post was well structured. However I believe you could have put you citations at the very end because it go in the way of reading the information and pictures. I'm also happy for you that you found this topic easy, I would have never have been able to do this subject as good as you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How is the tRNA and rRNA important to the human body.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blog! I liked your explanation of what you learned, but I wished you had put in a little more on tRNA. Altogether, it is a great blog. I will use it in my studying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blog! I liked your explanation of what you learned, but I wished you had put in a little more on tRNA. Altogether, it is a great blog. I will use it in my studying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the way you explained what RNA is. I feel that you could have possible make the what RNA is shorter. Also I think that you should have had a video. I feel like you should have what was the most surprising in the reflection but over all it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blog is very detailed and well explained. The pictures are very helpful to your explanation. I feel as if you could've summarized RNA a bit more. It is good that you know you might have learned more from a harder topic but you gave very good information since you know more about this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked how in depth you got and how well organized this blog was. I think you could have condensed the information because theres a lot on the blog. Overall it was good I could tell you knew what you were talking about due to your reflection.

    ReplyDelete

Nucleus

Nucleus: The nucleus is the control center of the cell that controls all the other organelles. It holds all the DNA inside of it and even th...