Friday, May 26, 2017

Sex Chromosomes

Sex chromosomes

Sex chromosomes are just one set on your 23 pairs of chromosomes. Everyone has two sex chromosomes. One from your dad and one from your mom. The female reproduction gamete is an egg which gives you an X while your father has X and Y chromosomes which mean your gender is given to you by your dad, pretty cool right?

In order to be a female you have the chromosomes XX.
In order to be a male you have them chromosomes XY.


Sex Linked Disease;
While the father has the stress of being the reason the child is a certain gender, the mom has a lot more on her hands. Since the mom has two X chromosomes she is the reason for a sex linked disorder. If the child is a male and suffers from a sex linked trait it is one hundred the mothers fault due to her passing down the x chromosome. While if its a female she had to have gotten a defective gene from both her mom and dad.


reflection; 
I knew about sex chromosomes because of class and for some reason it oddly made me extremely curious. I wanted to read up on it because being a female I wanted to know more about it so I know what Im getting myself into when I have kids in the future. I like how two small chromosomes determine so much about a person.

citations;
The Editors of Encyclopædia Britannica. "Sex chromosome." Encyclopædia Britannica. Encyclopædia Britannica, inc., n.d. Web. 26 May 2017.

Nicholson, Heather. "GMS5: Chicken Chromosomes." Scratch Cradle. N.p., 04 Aug. 2012. Web. 26 May 2017.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog was very well written, and it has been a good study tool for me. I enjoyed your example and it helped even more as a refresher. In your reflection you said you wanted to learn more, so you will understand the risks that you may pass the gene to your child. That really made me think and 2 chromosomes really do make such a big difference. If I were you, I would only add the human Karyotype graph, because that may be on the test and knowing how to read the sex chromosomes is important too.

    ReplyDelete

Nucleus

Nucleus: The nucleus is the control center of the cell that controls all the other organelles. It holds all the DNA inside of it and even th...