Friday, May 26, 2017

Mutation: Substitution Mia DiTommaso

Substitution

Substitution is the exchange of one or more bases for another. This can result in a different amino acid codon reading.

Substitution will (possibly) only affect one amino acid reading, none after it. When the mutation goes unnoticed it is known as a silent mutation.
http://www.biotechnologyforums.com/thread-38.html
- Addition/insertion and deletion are frameshift mutations

How/When:
• Occurs spontaneously and randomly (not inheritable)


http://www.yourgenome.org/facts/what-types-of-mutation-are-there 

Reflection:
I chose to do substitution because I could never remember the name of it. On the 13.5 I would always put insertion when it was supposed to be substitution. Doing this topic made me realize my mistake, so I'm glad that I chose this topic. What surprised me about this topic was learning what a substitution mutation was. I loved getting to learn about mutations, how they occur, and what happens when they do.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Nucleus

Nucleus: The nucleus is the control center of the cell that controls all the other organelles. It holds all the DNA inside of it and even th...